Saturday, July 23, 2005

BREAK DOWN!

Far out! what a dreadful day. Let alone a feral week. Unfortunately its not over. I still have one more day of work. Then a glorious four days off. I WILL make the most of it.

The week started off hideously busy. Patiets at work are seriously ill. So much to do, not enough hours in the day.Yeah i work in a hospital with sick people. But its usually not so critical.
I had been nursing a patient who's prognosis was poor. Her condition was either satisfactory one minute, then unsatisactory the next. She fluctuated.
Early in the week she ate, drank, chatted and looked really good. She even managed to walk to and from the bathroom for me. I tried to ambulate her again later that day, but she couldnt, and her legs gave way. I managed to support her to prevent an injury from falling.She went to the floor and there i rang the emergency buzzer. Staff and doctors came to my aid. She was assisted back to bed.Here she starts to deteriorate!
I then had a day off after this shift, as my mother under went gynacological surgery. She was well post the procedure. sore as one would expect from foreign objects prodding and poking around down there. Now all that is required is the results from a biopsy that was taken. A week of worrying!
I then returned today to the same four bed room i had previously been in. One patient had deteriorated in 24 hrs, and was wheeled away to a single room for palliative management. Here i conversed with the family and hugged the daughter. I had developed a close relationship with her. TLC doesnt go astray.
Then i noticed Mrs G was breathing rapidly.Her respirations were gurgly. My instincts told me to act.Here i took all her vital signs. Her breaths were 40 a minute, the norm is 17-20. I called the nurse in charge to come immediately. He did so, and ordered me to call the Doctor.
The doctor arrived and assessed Mrs G. She concluded that she was for palliative management and to be kept comfortable. While all this was happening, the emergency buzzer went off. I looked at the screen to see it was for another patient on the ward. Quickly i ran. Here lays a 19yo girl fitting, going blue! I call the emergency team and help where necessary. The mother of this girl was sitting in our staff room shaking(in shock) and sobbing.I then procede to reassure her that her daughter is breathing, alive, and that the team are looking after her.Eventually miss 19yo stablised.
As for Mrs G, she deteriorated even more. Her daughter came to the desk and said "I think she's gone?" Myself and the nurse in charge enter her room to find that she had passed away. Her body lifeless. Her daughter streaming tears down her cheeks.This is where i lost it!
I wandered down to the nurses desk to call the doctor to come and give notification of death. I then broke down. Sobbed my heart out! I felt somewhat guilty for this lady passing away. I did all i could. But i still felt down in the dumps. I was councelled by another staff member. I told her i put too much prssure and responsibility on my self. Surprisingly she agreed with what i said.I guess i should take heed of her advice.
So Mrs G has left the land of the living. She was unwell with an extensive cardic history, along with other serious medical conditions. I took it all to heart. But hey, i am human and have feelings. All i have to say is "R.I.P. Mrs G."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what the nurses were like at the Heidlebery re-pat, when my brother was there. they became friends, and a huge support. One male nurse was found in tears after my brother passed. It shows a real caring Human side.

Dont loose that, it helps every one, especially the families. But dont take it to heart. You did your job, make the patient comfortable, and that is precious.

10:16 am AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

modern medicine is creating an unsustainable and unnatural circumstance where human beings are avoiding natural selection...

you are not helping humanity in the long run by doing your job...

stop keeping all those people alive. it is ultimately a waste of the planets resources, which are dwindling fast... if they cannot maintain themselves, they, by the laws of nature, are better dead.. so please let them die without dragging it out to the detriment of our future...

You, and your profession, are a part of the problem, not a part of the solution... think on that carefully before deciding im irrational...

to me, to nature, and to the evolution, what YOU do is irrational...

8:29 am AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, for those that are seriously offended by my attitude... i am not a hypocrite, I no longer go to doctors for ANY reason. ive already managed to survived one painfull death experience without their (or anyone elses) assistance, and as a result, i am well aware of a continuation beyond death... I am quite happy to die without the interference of self righteous humans when my time comes, and in fact, look foreward to it...

if you ARE offended by my attitude, you are obviously ALSO part of the problem on this planet.

you want your grandkids kids kids to have half a chance of survival?

then seriously reasses your attitudes and activities NOW. or else they are STUFFED!

8:40 am AEST  
Blogger ange said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:34 am AEST  
Blogger ange said...

exqueeze me, baking powder tentical man?!

2:10 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMFAO @ ange

7:56 pm AEST  

Post a Comment

<< Home