Tuesday, January 17, 2006

THE FUNERAL

To all the people out there that have been reading my blogs. I apologise that i have gone on about my gradmother for the past couple of months. But in reality, isn't a blog your own page to tap away at whatever you wish?
I know i have gone on and on and on about her, but i loved her. I loved her like a 2nd mum. So if any of you read my previous posts and thought "God here she goes again," rest assured this is my last entry about Nan.

Her funeral was yesturday(16/1/2006). Her coffin was wooden ash, draped with an array of pale pink and purple roses. A photo was displayed of her as an 18yo, along with a portrait of her at age 80. Dancing shoes that she wore for many years were placed in between the two photo's. She actively loved to dance. Scottish Dancing. An activity she participated in for at least 5 years or more.

60 people attended. Friends, relatives, and people to mark there respects to the family.
My mum managed to read her eulogy with my support. Then i read mine. I have to admitt i was a little nervous at the thought of speaking in front of 60 people, but i kept telling myself that this day is my grandma's day, i only have one shot at reflecting on memories shared with her over the past 33 years.
This is what i said;


Memories of my Grandma known as “Poppy.”


I remember referring to you as “My trendy grandma.” You were always dressed so beautifully in the clothes you had sewn. You had a talent.
I remember sleeping over where you would give up your bed for your granddaughters, and you would sleep on the stretcher.
I was always welcome to stay. No matter what time it was.
You had a bed for me when I was studying nursing. You got up at ungodly hours to see me off when I had to go into the city, and greeted me with a kiss, hug and a smile on my return.
We had girly talks before retiring to go to sleep, along with a few laughs.
I remember summers spent at the Carnegie pools.
I remember your pet cat Polly, and of course your pet dog April, that you loved to dote over.
I remember your presence at birthday and Christmas celebrations.
I remember your love of chocolate. There were always lollies and sweets that you would share. You were a number 1 devoted chocoholic.
I remember when I came over for dinner you cooked my favorite. “Home made hot potato chips.”
You also cooked delicious honeycomb, Christmas cakes and shortbread that the family loved to indulge.
You were a very active woman, who would walk from Carnegie to Chadstone. You were more active than me!
I remember pa and yourself were addicted to the television show Melrose place. We would discuss the episodes and look forward to what was going to happen next.
Nothing was too much trouble for such a kind nurturing caring lady.
I saw you as a tough tenacious woman. Even when you were sick, you were someone who never complained. Someone that had a personality trait to help others in need.
I love you poppy, and I will never forget the memories that are embedded within.
Until we meet again.
Rest in peace. Love always.
Angela

It was a beautiful service. She would have loved it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Thanks for sharing this wih us. She sounds like she was a very special person.

And, you're right, it is your blog. You'll look back at these posts for many years to come and will be glad you put your thoughts in writing.

10:31 am AEDT  
Blogger consise10 said...

Ditto to what Fred said above. Nicely written Ange!

3:25 pm AEDT  
Blogger ange said...

HUGS to all of you!!!!! thanx for your kind responses. And blondie, i was very fortunate to have a caring grandmother in my life.
God bless her,and RIP.xxxooo

11:03 pm AEDT  
Blogger 411LTD said...

What a beautiful eulogy. Your nan must have beamed with pride when she watched over you reading it. All those things she did for you.... no wonder you loved your nan so much.

You are a special person Ange. I agree with the others... you can talk all day about any thing you choose. Please don't repress your natural thoughts. It's what makes your blog so interesting! LOL

Love and Light,
Pauline

5:11 pm AEDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home